Hi!! Today, we’re talking . . . social media.
Now this isn’t the typical “Instagram is the highlight roll, don’t compare it to your bloopers” rant, even though it is important too. What I’m here to say is, you don’t have to care so much about your social media because PEOPLE DON’T ACTUALLY CARE.
Recently, I’ve been more attached to social media than usual (which is saying a lot #oops), and so I’ve been trying to actively cut back on the time I spend using it. I’m still in the process of figuring out what I can do to not waste my entire life on social media, but I’m actively avoiding social media for the time being.
I went on a social media purging spree the other day, and I went through my Instagram and Twitter and unfollowed all the people that I really didn’t need to follow. Some examples were-
- people from a follow-for-follow type of deal. Unless I really LOVE their content, there isn’t a need to keep following them. (Disclaimer: I don’t actively participate in follow-for-follow or follow-chains or whatever else there is; I’m talking here about the people who follow you and you follow back for ‘politeness’ purposes.)
- pages you follow multiple of. Do you really need to be following 6 kitten pages and 4 puppy pages? Cutting back to 1 or 2 would get you your animal fix, while taking down the number of pages you follow, and thus the number of posts you see!
- inspiration pages. How many (if you’re like me) bullet journal pages are you following? How many of pretty notes? How many of aesthetic-minimalistic lifestyles? How many of insane photography? Pick your favorite, and unfollow all the rest. If you’re like me, you’re following these pages for your own photos and for inspiration. How many of these pages post things that you won’t ever, EVER accomplish? Unfollow them! The only thing they’re doing is reminding you how you’re not aesthetic enough.
- celebrities. Do you still need to be following that YouTuber that you stopped watching two years ago? Do you REALLY need to be Keeping Up With The Kardashians? They COULD NOT CARE LESS about you, so why are you caring?
- laziness. How many pages are you still following, simply because you’re too lazy to tap into their profile and unfollow them? UNFOLLOW THEM NOW.
- vague acquaintances. Do you need to be following that girl you passed in the hallway once a week in high school? Do you need to be following your teacher’s daughter? Do you need to be following that person who you’ve just seen vaguely around but have never actually talked to? They don’t know you, they don’t care about you; do yourself a favor and unfollow them.
- old blogger friends. This makes me sound TERRIBLE, but really. They’ve moved on with their lives, and you’ve moved on from yours. Do you really need to be following them? This is, again, more of the ‘acquaintance’ type, the type you were following because of their blog but you don’t actually read their blog.
- bloggers that don’t fit your niche. This is kind of related to the “follow chains” type, but these are the people who you stumbled across a couple times and followed. They aren’t posting things you care about, you don’t care about what they’re posting, just unfollow them!
- nice people whose blogs you read but whose content you don’t care for. There is no written rule that you MUST follow the social media of whoever’s blog you read! If you LOVE someone’s blog, but don’t like their social media, DON’T FOLLOW THEM. NO ONE CARES IF YOU DON’T FOLLOW THEM.
Overall, it’s just that PEOPLE DON’T CARE ABOUT YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA AS MUCH AS YOU THINK. I have to keep reminding myself of this, but do you know how much time you could save if you didn’t care what people cared about on social media?