I literally have 10 wrapup posts for the end of the year, and this is one of them. As my wise friend Abbiee said, it’s not healthy (or wise) to simply just set goals, goals goals without also seeing what you’ve done! This post is in between my New Years Resolutions and tomorrow, my January goals, and this is a post talking about what I’ve done and learned this year!
2017 was a big year for me. Overall, I’ve moved up a lot from being in the same schedule I’ve had for years, and changing things up a lot. (Due to my friend getting her license lol) I’ve been able to go out on more friend-inspired whim trips, and those were fun. I’ve also gotten a job (money!) and had to buy stuff (no more money!), and also had to take public transportation (no more money!).
Here are some things I’ve learned, some serious, some not.
In 2017, I learned . . .
1. that college applications are FREAKING STRESSFUL (like that wasn’t obvious). Similarly, college essay prompts are vvvv stupid. The whole point of applying to college is figuring out what you want to do with your life; and I’m not supposed to know that already. But that’s a separate rant for a separate time.
2. that working 40 hours a week is A LOT MORE TIRING THAN IT LOOKS. (Also, because of this internship/office job type thing, I learned a lot about sleep and sleep research and how to put on EEGs and all kinds of fun science stuff like that)
3. that shipping packages is very expensive (and going to the post office is a hassle, especially if you don’t bring enough money the first time)
4. that if you’re planning on entering 34 entries in the fair (bad idea in general lol), don’t leave them until the last minute (similarly, if you have a friend coming over to help bake cookies, GET READY BEFORE SHE ARRIVES)
5. about filling out forms and money (!!!) and background checks and getting IDs and badges and interviews and all that business-y type stuff
6. to check the DATE you sign up for a show, as well as the time . . . or you might be 20 minutes late to said show after the friend you’re going with texts you 5 minutes into the show asking where you are
7.that it is possible to break a car the first time you drive (long story). I also learned to drive…kinda.
8. that I just really really suck at time management. It has not improved.
9. public transportation is great but it also SUCKS (namely, changing train -> bus in the rain)
10. a lot about my personality and how I perceive things and process emotions and that kinda stuff.
11. THE BLOGGER DASHBOARD IS NOT LIMITED TO BLOGGER POSTS. MY LIFE IS FREAKIN CHANGED.
12. to be confrontational about problems, but don’t rush it and give the opposing party time to think. (also, talking about things is very important, but over talking is also too much)
13. to be grateful for people who understand and are forgiving, even if you’re attacking them (and especially if it’s kinda out of your place to say so)
14. some new calligraphy/typography fonts and some new methods for my art
15. spotify is really the best form of getting music (even though I used it for probably 5 months this year oops)
16. a lot about public education and interaction through my volunteer job at a museum (and I LOVE IT. SO MUCH.)
17. and overall, how to juggle college classes + working + my volunteer job + all my other responsibilities without dying.