While reading through my devotionals a few weeks ago, I came across this checklist of spiritual fashion. Like many people, I often worry about what to wear, and whether or not I’m keeping up with the latest styles/whether or not my choice of clothing is just weird :P, even though I have absolutely no desire to be “in” on clothing styles, especially now since the “in” clothing styles show body parts that I have no wish to show. I now have this pinned to my bulletin board, and I try to live on it. Of course, people should dress to look nice and what all, but inner beauty is what that really matters.
- A Gentle and Quiet Spirit
- First Peter 3:3-4- Do not let your adorning be external- the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear- but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious.
- Hebrews 13:5- Keep your life free from love of money and be content with what you have, for He has said, “I will never leave you, nor forsake you.”
- A smile
- John 16:22- So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you.
- Inner Peace
- Romans 5:1- Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Philippians 4:13- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
- Matthew 7:2- For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.
This has been really helpful to me both in choosing what I wear and in remembering that we are living for an eternal goal, not just for the new clothes/latest fashion.