A few weeks ago, a couple of my friends were making peppermint bark. Because I still hadn’t decided on my 2014 holiday recipe yet, I decided that I’d like to try making peppermint bark too!
Here is the recipe that I used:
30 crushed peppermint hard candies, divided
1 1/2 pounds milk chocolate candy, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds white chocolate, chopped
1 teaspoon oil-based peppermint flavoring, or to taste
- Spread 1/3 of the peppermint candy over a 9×13-inch baking pan lined with wax paper.
- Melt the milk chocolate in the top of a double boiler over just-barely simmering water, stirring frequently and scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula to avoid scorching, just until melted. Pour the melted chocolate over peppermint candy in the prepared pan. Sprinkle another 1/3 of the candy on top of the milk chocolate. Refrigerate until the chocolate hardens, about 30 minutes.
- Melt the white chocolate in the top of a double boiler over just-barely simmering water, stirring frequently and scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula to avoid scorching. Stir in the oil-based peppermint flavoring. Pour the white chocolate over the milk chocolate, then spread the remaining 1/3 peppermint candy on top.
- Refrigerate until the white chocolate hardens, about 30 minutes. Cut or break into pieces to serve.
Being the impatient person that I am, I didn’t bother to find a pan quite big enough- as a result, my peppermint bark was wayyyy too thick. I ended up with a pan of peppermint bark about 1 1/2 inches thick. My mom decided that that much chocolate wasn’t good for me, and so now I have this bag of chocolate sitting in my freezer…..